Each year around 10,000 people will have a serious work-related mental stress claim. Over 3.6 million Australians are affected by mental illness each year. Having a Mentally Healthy Workplace will assist you to reduce the risk of injury and improve productivity.
A Mentally Healthy Workplace will:
- Have an engaging, open, and positive work environment
- Encourage positive and healthy choices from their workers
- Provide the relevant resources, tools, and people to effectively manage mental health issues
- Quickly, confidentially, effectively, and respectfully address any Mental Health issues raised or identified
- Hold people accountable for their role in achieving a Mentally Healthy Workplace
To achieve a mentally healthy workplace requires proactive workplace culture and practices, and effective reactive incident and injury management processes. CEM is here to support you; we have developed new support systems via our ClubWHS management tool – Mentally Healthy Workplace Module.
This module is a questionnaire style tool aimed at highlighting some of the suggested activities, strategies and processes employers could have in place to support healthy behaviours and culture in the workplace. The tool then produces a report to provide employers further direction and guidance to build positive strategies, or further refine strategies for good mental health for your workers. This module was designed based on the SafeWork NSW Code of Practice: Managing Psychosocial Hazards at Work. This tool is simple to use, easy to follow and only takes a few minutes to support your workplace.
Other useful resources: